Everyone needs to carry things on their bicycles. A bicycle handlebar bag is simply a bag attached to the handlebars meant to carry your belongings. They come in a variety of sizes depending on the nature and size of the items to be carried around. It’s ideal for storing your snacks, mobile, wallet, camera, small bicycle repair kits and other valuables. Modern handlebar bags have attachment systems that make it very easy to quickly take the bag off the bicycle so you can take your valuables with you while you stroll around. They can come with anything from a few pockets to an elaborate number of pockets for organization purposes. Most bags also come with a map case on top to make navigation easier.
Considerations while buying
The handlebar bag is one of the highly versatile storage items you can have on your bicycle.
- Waterproof: Riders who often encounter inclement weather on long rides appreciate a waterproof handlebar bag to protect their phone and wallet.
- Type of Closure: There are many ways to close a bag zippers, rolling tops, clips, and buckles. Zippers are prone to failure due to the dirt from the road and repeated opening and closing motions. The bags that roll closed like a dry bag can be rolled very tight to form a waterproof seal in even the heaviest rainstorm.
- Weight and Volume: They come in all different shapes, materials, and sizes. There’s no point getting a bigger, heavier bag if you don’t need the extra space.
- Attachment Systems: Most handlebar bags act as portable bags for cyclists who use them to store things they need quick access to. This calls for easy detachability especially knowing that your hands will be cold and tired after cycling. However, the bag should also hold on to the handlebar steadily during riding.
- Fit: It is important to consider how well the chosen handlebar bag will fit your bicycle. Different bicycles come with different handlebar style/design, choosing a handlebar bag which does not suit you bicycle’s design means that you will have problems mounting it on the bicycle. Remember to look for one that fits easily without interfering with the bicycle cables. This is important because any interference can cause bicycle brakes to malfunction and endanger the rider as well as other road users.
- Accessibility: The only reason people buy handlebar bags is to get a storage space that is easy to access. This means the bag should be easy to open and close with one hand as you continue cycling and should have pockets facing the rider as well.
As useful as bicycle handlebar bags are useful to the modern cyclist, they have some associated drawbacks. The main consideration here is how the handlebar bag affects the handling of your bicycle. Remember that handlebar is used for steering and placing weight on it will affect the rider’s ability to steer. Attaching large handlebar bags not suited to your bicycle can have an effect on how far you can actually steer.